2/7/09

the priority of the first impression

this morning I suddenly realize that I might blame unjustly
many excellent literary work, movies or even adopted soap opera.
The main standard of the evaluation of the quality of adopted work
should consider the importance of the priority of the first impression.
THat is, no matter what the first version of the work you read/see first,
one could by no means be given a stronger first impression. And this would
ultimately one's judgement of the latter interpretation of the same work.

For instance, while reading the novel THe Kite Runner, I am touched intensively
by the sacred firendship and the devotion of the little boy.
The calling-- "For you, thoudands of times"--reverberates permanently beside my ear, hitting
violently.
THis kind of first impression can hardly be challenged.
THerefore, the priority of the first impression sets a unimagiable high wall for
the latter version to challange.

Also, the experience of Japanese novel Deer Man, leading by 玉木宏, in some instance shares the similarity of my reading of THe Kite RUnner.
Yet this time, it is a reversal process.

Instead of reading the novel first, I see its adopted series on TV.
THE wise choice of characters, the outstanding performance of the actor and the actress as well as the skillful view-shooting all astonishes me immediately.
Moreover, I just paid a visit to the main setting in the series,奈良 and the aura of that age-old city cast shadows over my heart until the time I see it.
Juxtoposing these two experience, the first impression of the story can hardly be underestimated.

As I think so, my reading of the original novel, once again, surprises me with the trivial difference between it and the adopted series. Due to these variation, the second imprssion becomes competiable with the first experience. Looking for these alteration enhances my interest on the novel and its evaluation.

THus, I realize that it is not the question about the supreme position of the original work, instead, the priority of the first impression decides one's judgement on adopted literary works.

No comments: